Coronavirus

I misunderstood your comment about the camps. Glad that's cleared up (I was suprised because your posts are very reasonable so I figured it wasnt to be taken on face value)

People as a group are egocentric assholes. (look at us where we voted for our prime minister after we came to know that he lied and fucked over a part of our population.) The hypocracy you're pointing at isn't a suprise and I agree its not right. However, for me it was not really clear that the common flu killed so much. I knew it, but never really considered it. So maybe a part of this problem was the image the flew had. Lastly... I don't think people are worried about a small percentage of our people dying of Corona if the hospitals can handle the patients. I think we can accept this as a unfortunate part of life.

Here the hospitals were overcrowded. We had to make choices about who got treatment. Not just corona, but also other disseases. A lot of operations were postponed because of the preasure on the nurses and doctors. You probably have a better view at your country, but a quick google search shows you had problems as well.
pressure
triage

To concentrate on my country; I think everybody wants to go back to normal. But not so long ago we tried doing this to fast. If the system can't handle it you're to late. A large spike in patients is hard to handle in a normal situation (see the beginning of this pandamic) and we are now dealing with a backlog of "regular" patients and overworked healthcare personal. So make sure we get rid of the measures but slowly.

The corona passport is in my oppinion a good temporary measure for this. The studies are not conclusive, so why risk it? Just get tested if you don't want to vaccinate?

I would suggest you take your data from actual sources and not media outlets.

"Ambulances lined up!", "Doctors exhausted!". These are not things that allow one to form an opinion on the matter.

The pictures of those ambulances lined up was propagated by probably the most sensational TV news channel in Portugal, and happened for a couple of days because of a problem that happened in the triage system.

And in no way I am saying that we had not stressful spikes for a couple of weeks.

Let me share you some slides from a presentation made from the Doctor responsible for the admission of UCI clients in Portugal's second biggest hospital (St. John, in Porto):

if44zpx.png

UCI stands for: Intensive Care Unit
First graph is: % of used UCI beds daily progression
Second graph is: Total number of admitted pacients in UCI vs Available Beds

Sorry about the quality, couldn't find another YouTube video with better one. These were taken from an inteview he made in 2021 for our public channel RTP.

Please note that, for the sake of clarity, those graphs are in regard to TOTAL UCI availability. Not only COVID UCIs.

You can see that the total UCIs avg usage is actually a little bit lower in 2020 (same pattern continues towards 2021, but this is the only snapshot I took).

Now, if the hospitals were in "the point of collapse" like the media was portraying, surely one would expect that COVID would take the place of at least a great % of the generic UCI beds, leading to a much higher total UCI % usage, right? It did not, at all. The planned beds for COVID were in the verge of not being enough? Yes. That's true. Were all the UCI beds used? Not only not true, as the average was actually lower.

It's important to not downplay things but also to not inflate them out of their reasonable proportion.

PS: I know Portugal is not the Netherlands but I don't think it's really relevant here. Similar society, similar health system, etc.

Laatst bewerkt:

"Ambulances lined up!", "Doctors exhausted!". These are not things that allow one to form an opinion on the matter.

The pictures of those ambulances lined up was propagated by probably the most sensational TV news channel in Portugal, and happened for a couple of days because of a problem that happened in the triage system.

And in no way I am saying that we had not stressful spikes for a couple of weeks.

Let me share you some slides from a presentation made from the Doctor responsible for the admission of UCI clients in Portugal's second biggest hospital (St. John, in Porto):

if44zpx.png

Sorry about the quality, couldn't find another YouTube video with better one. These were taken from an inteview he made in 2021 for our public channel RTP.

Please note that, for the sake of clarity, those graphs are in regard to TOTAL UCI availability. Not only COVID UCIs.

You can see that the total UCIs avg usage is actually a little bit lower in 2020 (same pattern continues towards 2021, but this is the only snapshot I took).

Now, if the hospitals were in "the point of collapse" like the media was portraying, surely one would expect that COVID would take the place of at least a great % of the generic UCI beds, leading to a much higher total UCI % usage, right? It did not, at all. The planned beds for COVID were in the verge of not being enough? Yes. That's true. Were all the UCI beds used? Not only not true, as the average was actually lower.

It's important to not downplay things but also to not inflate them out of their reasonable proportion.

PS: I know Portugal is not the Netherlands but I don't think it's really relevant here. Similar society, similar health system, etc.
No, I'll just trust my wife who works in the hospital, the briefings they had overthere, the long day's, the problems they had and still have there.

No, I'll just trust my wife who works in the hospital, the briefings they had overthere, the long day's, the problems they had and still have there.

Someone working on technical support thinks all their products are absolute shit: they only deal with the problems and get no feedback from the 99% clients that are actually happy.

Not trying to compare the importance of a technological product to a human life. I am just saying your wife probably doesn't have the most unbiased point of view in this whole situation.

Besides I didn't say there weren't stressful times with Corona. My point is that IMO given the circumstances is time to come back to normal and ditch things like the passport, which don't really have any strong scientific support AND have way too many fascizoid vibes for my taste. Regarding you, I am not sure what is the point you're trying to put forward here.

Maar dan is het toch heel simpel? Door je niet te laten vaccineren neem je een risico. Dat is prima en zolang er plek is in het ziekenhuis, word je indien nodig geholpen. Is het echter vol, dan sta je onderaan de lijst.

En voor de opmerking 'En rokers met longkanker dan??' weer voorbij komt: wat mij betreft geldt daarvoor hetzelfde. Als het vol is krijgen mensen die pech hebben met een ziekte voorrang op mensen die risico's nemen en het min of meer over zichzelf afroepen.
Maar je betaalt als niet gevaccineerde toch gewoon je zorgpremie en hebt zodoende recht op zorg. Ik ben niet gevaccineerd maar waarom zou ik dan niet geholpen moeten worden als ik ziek wordt. Lang leve de tweedeling in de maatschappij.

Someone working on technical support thinks all their products are absolute shit: they only deal with the problems and get no feedback from the 99% clients that are actually happy.

Not trying to compare the importance of a technological product to a human life. I am just saying your wife probably doesn't have the most unbiased point of view in this whole situation.

Besides I didn't say there weren't stressful times with Corona. My point is that IMO given the circumstances is time to come back to normal and ditch things like the passport, which don't really have any strong scientific support AND have way too many fascizoid vibes for my taste. Regarding you, I am not sure what is the point you're trying to put forward here.
Just saying that my point of view comes from the strugle inside the hospital, not from the media as you suggested.

Maar je betaalt als niet gevaccineerde toch gewoon je zorgpremie en hebt zodoende recht op zorg. Ik ben niet gevaccineerd maar waarom zou ik dan niet geholpen moeten worden als ik ziek wordt. Lang leve de tweedeling in de maatschappij.
Omdat jij je niet wilde verzekeren tegen brand , maar nu toch schadeloos gesteld wilt worden?

if44zpx.png

There is an health inequity in portugal where most care is centered aroud Lisabon and Porto. klik Do this hospital may not be a good representative.

Furthermore, check this artikel.
30% delayed urgent surgery

Also, we started this exchange about the corona passport. (getting vaccinated, proven recovered from Corona or tested here). You are against this. What are your arguments?

Je wordt gewoon geholpen, zolang er plek is. De tijd dat alles in de ziekenhuizen moest wijken voor corona is voorbij nu er gewoon een middel is waardoor de kans op ziekte veel minder is.

Je hebt inderdaad recht op zorg, maar ik vind dat je ook de plicht hebt om te proberen de zorg zoveel mogelijk te ontlasten. Doe je dat niet, maar wil je wel te allen tijde zorg kunnen ontvangen, dan mag je zorgpremie van mij omhoog.

Je wordt gewoon geholpen, zolang er plek is. De tijd dat alles in de ziekenhuizen moest wijken voor corona is voorbij nu er gewoon een middel is waardoor de kans op ziekte veel minder is.

Je hebt inderdaad recht op zorg, maar ik vind dat je ook de plicht hebt om te proberen de zorg zoveel mogelijk te ontlasten. Doe je dat niet, maar wil je wel te allen tijde zorg kunnen ontvangen, dan mag je zorgpremie van mij omhoog.
Ik ben gezond, heb echt zelden gebruikt gemaakt van de zorg. Heeft me een hoop geld gekost dus. De reden dat ik me niet laat vaccineren is omdat ik super gezond ben. Mijn lichaam vertrouw ik zelf. Neem zelfs echt nooit een paracetamolletje.
Moet ik dan meer premie gaan betalen omdat ik gezond ben? Laat me niet lachen alsjeblieft.

2G gaat eraan komen. Mag ik dan nooit meer naar PSV omdat ik gezond ben en daarom geen prik neem. En ik.laat me niet verplichten tot een vaccinatie. Ik heb principes. Ben ik dan een minder mens die buiten de maatschappij hoort? Gezonde mensen horen niet in de maatschappij?

2G gaat eraan komen. Mag ik dan nooit meer naar PSV omdat ik gezond ben en daarom geen prik neem. En ik.laat me niet verplichten tot een vaccinatie. Ik heb principes. Ben ik dan een minder mens die buiten de maatschappij hoort? Gezonde mensen horen niet in de maatschappij?
2G komt er aan, nee hoor, OMT adviseert, kamer wil er niet aan. Kamer is het orgaan wat er over beslist, niet het OMT.

• Leuk
Reactions: IPF
Ben ik dan een minder mens die buiten de maatschappij hoort?

Nee hoor, gewoon even testen en je bent welkom.

de tweedeling is er al voor rokers, als een levensverzekering op je huis neemt als je rookt is die duurder. (Scheelt ruim 10 euro per maand...)

ik ben gevaccineerd, maar moet toch testen door de natuur van mijn werk. Ik zie echt het probleem niet, mijn neus is afgelopen 1.5 jaar zo vaak verkracht door de stokjes, dat ze gewoon naar binnen lopen.

• Leuk
Reactions: IPF
2G komt er aan, nee hoor, OMT adviseert, kamer wil er niet aan. Kamer is het orgaan wat er over beslist, niet het OMT.
Hahaha net zoals de avondklok er nooit zou komen en due als eerste maatregel weg zou gaan, net als de indirecte vaccinatirplicht nooit zou komen. Inmiddels mag je in Duitsland niet meer naar het voetbal met alleen een negatief testbewijs. Daar is 2G al ingeburgerd. Jij denkt werkelijk dat dat hier niet gaat gebeuren? Jij denkt werkelijk dat de coronapas nog gaat verdwijnen? Blijf vooral in alle leugens van Rutte en De Jonge geloven. Als niet gevaccineerde hoor je vanaf binnenkort nooit meer in de maatschappij. Lang leve de tweedeling in de maatschappij. Ik ben een gezond maar heel slecht mens die niet in de maatschappij thuishoort. Mensen met obesitas die ongezond eten wel, mensen die zich kapot zuipen wel, mensen die roken als een ketter wel. Maar gezonde mensen moeten buitengesloten wordende ze geen prik halen. Want daar gaat het met 2G op uitdraaien.

Nee hoor, gewoon even testen en je bent welkom.

de tweedeling is er al voor rokers, als een levensverzekering op je huis neemt als je rookt is die duurder. (Scheelt ruim 10 euro per maand...)

ik ben gevaccineerd, maar moet toch testen door de natuur van mijn werk. Ik zie echt het probleem niet, mijn neus is afgelopen 1.5 jaar zo vaak verkracht door de stokjes, dat ze gewoon naar binnen lopen.
2G gaat er komen, wordt in Duitsland ingeburgerd. Gaat hier ook gebeuren. Dan heb je niets aan een test. Helemaal niets! En hoor je dus niet meer in de maatschappij.

There is an health inequity in portugal where most care is centered aroud Lisabon and Porto. klik Do this hospital may not be a good representative.

Furthermore, check this artikel.
30% delayed urgent surgery

Also, we started this exchange about the corona passport. (getting vaccinated, proven recovered from Corona or tested here). You are against this. What are your arguments?

Well I think the focal point of that article is this "Waiting time for surgery showed no difference between both years (p = 0.068)". There was actually an ongoing campaign in the radio and TV for people to show up at the hospitals as they wouldn't in fear. At the beginning yes, some surgeries were postponed due to COVID arrangements, but that evolved to people not going just due to having fear.

My father actually was hospitalized in March 2020 and underwent surgery to the end of the year to remove the gallbladder, and no delays were observed whatsoever.

Regarding the certificate, the way I see it is not a person that has to show why he or she's against, but rather the Govt to tell us on WHY it's justified. So I'm the one who actually has to prove on why I don't want to show details of my personal life to do mundane tasks like having a dinner? No.

I see that justification was mainly based on two things, that personally I would be flexible enough to concede, but they don't prove to be 100% true:

1. To reduce spreading of the disease by the infected people. Not only we have contradicting studies, some of them showing us that spread rate is not quite different from vaccinated to unvacccinated people (https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals), but we also already gave the chance to everyone to vaccinate and protect themselves to virtually 0% chance of dying from it;
2. To "convince" unvaccinated people to vaccinate. Most of the people I know that are not vaccinated are conspiracy theorists that actually use the passport argument to prove that this is an all out Govt scheme to kill us or whatever. So it actually has the opposite effect.

One thing is my personal stance, another thing is to which point I am flexible enough to compromise. None of those 2 points where I am flexible enough to compromise happen to be 100% factual, so I don't.

My personal stance is actually harder. I don't like having to show passports to enter a restaurante or a bowling alley. I like to keep Govt out of our lives, and "passports" and other things like that smell fishy as hell to me. Personally I will gladly take the risk of myself to increase the chance of dying from Corona from 0.1% to 0.3% or whatever (given that we're vaccinated) in order to keep Govt hands out of people's personal life. I would say the same if I was 80 years old.

Our Govt is actually removing passports from daily life in Oct 1. Gladly.

Hahaha net zoals de avondklok er nooit zou komen en due als eerste maatregel weg zou gaan, net als de indirecte vaccinatirplicht nooit zou komen. Inmiddels mag je in Duitsland niet meer naar het voetbal met alleen een negatief testbewijs. Daar is 2G al ingeburgerd. Jij denkt werkelijk dat dat hier niet gaat gebeuren? Jij denkt werkelijk dat de coronapas nog gaat verdwijnen? Blijf vooral in alle leugens van Rutte en De Jonge geloven. Als niet gevaccineerde hoor je vanaf binnenkort nooit meer in de maatschappij. Lang leve de tweedeling in de maatschappij. Ik ben een gezond maar heel slecht mens die niet in de maatschappij thuishoort. Mensen met obesitas die ongezond eten wel, mensen die zich kapot zuipen wel, mensen die roken als een ketter wel. Maar gezonde mensen moeten buitengesloten wordende ze geen prik halen. Want daar gaat het met 2G op uitdraaien.
Rutte kan geen ruk zonder meerderheid, stop met jezelf in een hokje weg te stoppen met je angstwaanbeelden en ga leven joh.

Ik ben gezond, heb echt zelden gebruikt gemaakt van de zorg. Heeft me een hoop geld gekost dus. De reden dat ik me niet laat vaccineren is omdat ik super gezond ben. Mijn lichaam vertrouw ik zelf. Neem zelfs echt nooit een paracetamolletje.
Moet ik dan meer premie gaan betalen omdat ik gezond ben? Laat me niet lachen alsjeblieft.

"Mijn huis staat nooit in brand, er is zelfs nog nooit een vlammetje geweest. Waarom moet ik me dan tegen brand verzekeren??"

Net zoals jij nu dikke en zuipende mensen niet hoeft te verketteren, hoeft men jou ook zeker niet te verketteren. Ik pleit voor keuzevrijheid. Hoezeer ik ook achter vaccineren sta om op korte termijn uit deze ellende te komen, ik wil niet dat dat ten koste gaat van de keuzevrijheid. Dan maar wat meer hobbels. Neemt niet weg dat ik denk dat het eigenlijk wel samenkan. Het gros is gevaccineerd. Het gros van de kwetsbaren sowieso. Inmiddels 2 miljoen positieve tests. Je mag toch verwachten dat er zo onderhand wat groepsimmuniteit is en we met en zonder prik prima naast elkaar kunnen leven.

Rutte kan geen ruk zonder meerderheid, stop met jezelf in een hokje weg te stoppen met je angstwaanbeelden en ga leven joh.
Hahaha afgelopen anderhalf jaar in een grot geleefd? Hoe kan ik leven als ik buiten de maatschappij hoor? Wees blij met de tweedeling in de maatschappij. Alles wat er niet zou komen is uiteindelijk toch gekomen. Jij gelooft oprecht dat 2G er niet komt? Echt serieus? Net als de avondklok?

De overheid kan opleggen wat ze willen. Inmiddels al 2x uit eten geweest zonder pas. Blijf het leven gewoon vieren jongens. 👍🏻

Net zoals jij nu dikke en zuipende mensen niet hoeft te verketteren, hoeft men jou ook zeker niet te verketteren. Ik pleit voor keuzevrijheid. Hoezeer ik ook achter vaccineren sta om op korte termijn uit deze ellende te komen, ik wil niet dat dat ten koste gaat van de keuzevrijheid. Dan maar wat meer hobbels. Neemt niet weg dat ik denk dat het eigenlijk wel samenkan. Het gros is gevaccineerd. Het gros van de kwetsbaren sowieso. Inmiddels 2 miljoen positieve tests. Je mag toch verwachten dat er zo onderhand wat groepsimmuniteit is en we met en zonder prik prima naast elkaar kunnen leven.
Maar het gaat allang niet meer om corona. De signaalwaarden liggen ruim onder de waarden die nodig zijn voor een coronapas volgens de routekaart. Dus zijn er andere motieven. Anders was die coronapas voorlopig allang ingetrokken

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan