Nederlands Elftal

Euro Futsal Cup 2022. Portugal in the same group as the Netherlands. Portugal is currently the European and World Champion. It will be interesting to see how good are the Netherlands at this sport.
Did you miss the last tournament? I thought Italy has won that one?

My humble opinion on Portuguese football and their mentality/attitude ever since I started watching…not just because of the game against Benfica 😜

I get your sentiment, believe me, but I think it is quite unfair to reduce the merits of Portuguese football to that. Portugal has a pop of ~10M people, a quite peripheral and historically poorer country. Still we managed to win 1 Euro Cup, 1 UNL, several world and euro cups in younger football, 2 club world cups, 4 club euro cups, 2 uefa cups, 1 cup winners cup (nevermind the 10+ finals lost), euro and world champions in beach soccer, in futsal... Most of that in last 10 years.

If we think about that Portugal is quite comparable to the Netherlands in terms of size and performance. Of course we can't forget the fantastic historic of the Orange in World Cups, being in 3 finals, which Portugal doesn't have (Portugal was 3rd once).

Having all this said, there surely must be some merit in that. : - )

I get your sentiment, believe me, but I think it is quite unfair to reduce the merits of Portuguese football to that. Portugal has a pop of ~10M people, a quite peripheral and historically poorer country. Still we managed to win 1 Euro Cup, 1 UNL, several world and euro cups in younger football, 2 club world cups, 4 club euro cups, 2 uefa cups, 1 cup winners cup (nevermind the 10+ finals lost), the euro and world champions in beach soccer, in futsal... Most of that in last 10 years.

If we think about that Portugal is quite comparable to the Netherlands in terms of size and performance. Of course we can't forget the fantastic historic of the Orange in World Cups, being in 3 finals, which Portugal doesn't have (Portugal was 3rd once).

Having all this said, there surely must be some merit in that. : - )
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to downgrade all the titles you’ve won or the quality of your football/players…I’m just saying that overall I don’t really respect the way Portuguese clubs and national teams play and behave…

A bit similar to the Spanish…which I think is such a shame, because precisely those two countries always produce amazing, technically gifted players! One would think that they don’t need that kind of anti-football…I would understand it if players and teams from Estonia or Romania or something would behave like that, but the Portuguese/Spanish? Just utterly pathetic and disgusting…and actually a reason for me to stop watching those teams unless it’s against a Dutch team…they are capable of making a beautiful game very ugly and despicable🙄

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to downgrade all the titles you’ve won or the quality of your football/players…I’m just saying that overall I don’t really respect the way Portuguese clubs and national teams play and behave…

A bit similar to the Spanish…which I think is such a shame, because precisely those two countries always produce amazing, technically gifted players! One would think that they don’t need that kind of anti-football…I would understand it if players and teams from Estonia or Romania or something would behave like that, but the Portuguese/Spanish? Just utterly pathetic and disgusting…and actually a reason for me to stop watching those teams unless it’s against a Dutch team…they are capable of make a beautiful game very ugly and despicable🙄

First of all, regarding the excessive diving: that's a problem that should be addressed at Portuguese refereeing. Portuguese referees love to whistle on every little impact or foul, which promotes that naggy behavior.

Apart from that, you also have different generations of teams that play differently.

Take Euro 2016 per example versus the Euro 2000 generation.

The Euro 2000 generation from Portuguese football was absolutely fantastic, full on attacking squad. The Euro 2016? The talent was just not there. The only way we could go through was by solid defending. Uglier? Yes of course. But I take ugly and winning over beautiful and losing anyday.

Remember our clash in Europa League in 2014? Benfica was a fantastic team then, attacking non stop all the time. Nowadays the talent is just not there, as our squad is quite mediocre.

You can't have attractive attacking football if the talent is not there.

First of all, regarding the excessive diving: that's a problem that should be addressed at Portuguese refereeing. Portuguese referees love to whistle on every little impact or foul, which promotes that naggy behavior.

Apart from that, you also have different generations of teams that play differently.

Take Euro 2016 per example versus the Euro 2000 generation.

The Euro 2000 generation from Portuguese football was absolutely fantastic, full on attacking squad. The Euro 2016? The talent was just not there. The only way we could go through was by solid defending. Uglier? Yes of course. But I take ugly and winning over beautiful and losing anyday.

Remember our clash in Europa League in 2014? Benfica was a fantastic team then, attacking non stop all the time. Nowadays the talent is just not there, as our squad is quite mediocre.

You can't have attractive attacking football if the talent is not there.
First of all kudos for taking the time to answer without taking things personally…

But I guess it’s just a matter of perspectives, in my memory the Portuguese and Spanish national teams and clubs tend to behave in a certain way I don’t like to see on a football pitch…and that’s something I have always felt, both 20 years ago and nowadays…but maybe I’m biased, I don’t know…on the other hand many Dutch teams could learn from your mentality, although I hope we will always behave in a certain way nonetheless😜

Futsal? I really have no idea what that is so i googled it.. and now i know and see how stupid my remark was on the last page.. Never heard of it to be honest..

I believed it would be more famous in the Netherlands. I guess it's more of a Southern + Eastern European thing.

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan