Wereldkampioenschap 2022

I removed part of your comment because it was so big.

But yeah... You pretty much nailed everything, little to add.

Yesterday I was working so I didn't pay much attention to the game, so I took a while after dinner to turn on the TV and watch some commentators and football panels. After a quick TV zapping, all I learned:

- This guy turned his back on the portuguese fans at the end
- His wife wrote an Instagram post with sarcastic remarks towards the national coach
- His sister calling all the Portuguese people "ingrateful" (for the 100x time now), and begging him to come home (I actually agreed with this part)

I thought that we'd heard a bit about the kid that scored the first portuguese hat-trick post-Eusébio? Nah. Or the fact that our NT is only for the 3rd time in history in the quarter-finals? Nah.

Nobody can take that away from him. But he doesn't have a spot in the starting XI. It's as simple as that. Everyone accepted that in the past. I remember Rui Costa, Fernando Couto, and others, sitting in the bench, when young Ronaldo was coming up. That's how life goes.

What's sad is that he could be a super important piece of leadership from the bench, but he just can't have the clarity of mind to realize how to step down gracefully.

Eusébio didn't have the money CR7 has, the records, the millions of followers, had many alcohol problems, but his cheer charisma and personality - apart from what he did on the pitch - commanded a deep respect and admiration whenever Benfica or Portugal had international affairs, even when he was in his 70s. Everyone came to the streets of Lisbon to watch his coffin pass by, when he died.

I wonder how many of these "Insta-fans" will remember CR7 when he dies?

Heck. I even wonder if his sister would be on his side, if the money stream stops?

CR7 is at the very least extremely bad advised. 100% brought this down on himself.
Exactly. He's one of your biggest, if not biggest players ever and could have been remembered fondly. Even superstars eventually get too old and will have to make way. As you said: go gracefully. He could have accepted that new talents will take his place and cheer them on. Let's be honest: with the form he's been in the only reason he was even called up for the WC is because his name is Cristiano Ronaldo. Your coach could've easily called up a random talent or some other decent player, but respected Ronaldo by giving him a final shot at a big tournament with the team. Perhaps he hoped that he'd be useful as an impact sub and could positively influence the dressing room with his leadership and status as a player who has just about won it all. Instead he got a huge crybaby who is doing your dressing room more harm than good (although the result yesterday doesn't reflect that in the slightest I guess). He's done the same at United: slagging and slandering everyone at the club he's considered an icon at, only because they didn't treat him as the superstar he no longer is on sporting grounds. And now he's repeating that stint at your national team. How to tarnish your reputation 101.

Exactly. He's one of your biggest, if not biggest players ever and could have been remembered fondly. Even superstars eventually get too old and will have to make way. As you said: go gracefully. He could have accepted that new talents will take his place and cheer them on. Let's be honest: with the form he's been in the only reason he was even called up for the WC is because his name is Cristiano Ronaldo. Your coach could've easily called up a random talent or some other decent player, but respected Ronaldo by giving him a final shot at a big tournament with the team. Perhaps he hoped that he'd be useful as an impact sub and could positively influence the dressing room with his leadership and status as a player who has just about won it all. Instead he got a huge crybaby who is doing your dressing room more harm than good (although the result yesterday doesn't reflect that in the slightest I guess). He's done the same at United: slagging and slandering everyone at the club he's considered an icon at, only because they didn't treat him as the superstar he no longer is on sporting grounds. And now he's repeating that stint at your national team. How to tarnish your reputation 101.

Fernando Santos has been covering CR7's butt for years now. And CR7 would still be on the starting XI today if it wasn't for the S. Korea game.

When CR7 was substituted against S. Korea, he said, while was walking out, something like "You're in a f***ing hurry to take me out aren't you?". Everyone could read his lips. The official story that came out right after the game was that he was talking to a Korean player. Desperate damage control by the Portuguese Football Federation. Even Fernando Santos double down on this.

But then the TVs did a quick "fact check" and that supposed Korean player only came near Ronaldo seconds after that. Then Santos came in, and said he didn't like to learn about that all (maybe he didn't know at all? maybe he was trying to save his dignity?), and took him out.

Shitting on the coach that has been saving his ass for years now just shows how out of touch with reality he is.

Wat De Jong doet... in z'n eigen zestien wenden en draaien met een man in z'n rug... dat werd bij ons in de E-tjes wel afgeleerd.

I was hearing the radio broadcast when the Netherlands scored this goal, and the narrator was absolutely delighted, urging everyone to watch this goal. Only watching it now, it's a fantastic geometrical painting for sure.

Uiteindelijk ben ik geen fan van CR maar ik bewonder zijn arbeidsethos en zijn voetbaltalent.
Het respect is er maar daar zit ook soms een "bahh" tussen.
Maar maak je geen zorgen want Ronaldo gaat naar de zandbak om 200 miljoen per jaar te verdienen en daar zal hij genoeg mensen tegengekomen die hem bewonderen.

Ronaldo en Messi hebben hebben samen een voetbalgeschiedenis die nooit meer geëvenaard zal worden.
Jaren lang waren zij de smaakmakers van El Clasico of La Liga en als international hebben ze veel enorm veel betekend voor hun land. Ik betwijfel of 1 van die 2 ooit nog ingehaald zal worden.
Eens met je. Ook ik ben geen fan, maar je mag hem om dat andere toch bewonderen.
Overigens zeg nooit "nooit" wat betreft dat evenaren.
Dachten vorige generaties ook van Pele en Maradona. Waarbij mijn voorkeur lag bij de voetballer en niet de handballer.;)

Ook zijn zaakwaarnemer toevallig? :maniac:
Helaas niet meer haalbaar voor PSV. Met alle respect voor onze tank Sangaré is Amrabat een paar maatjes groter. Volgens zijn broer Nordin was hij in januari persoonlijk al rond met Tottenham. Tottenham kwam er niet uit met Fiorentina en zijn toen overgeschakeld op Bentancur van Juve. Het zou mij verbazen als na dit wk de wereldtop zich niet voor hem meldt. Als Chelsea al Sangaré en Alvarez wilde halen...
Zie je wel dat dat prima kan tussen 2 mannen. :sneaky:
Liefde hoeft niet altijd opgevolgd te worden door seks. Zoals dat je kunt houden van je broer, vader of zoontje. Niemand zal anders beweren ;)

Soms is het wel een mindfuk hoor om op te groeien in twee culturen. Enerzijds heerlijk om met dezelfde intensiteit te kunnen juichen en meeleven met twee landen op het wk. Anderzijds in het geval van Amrabat en Ziyech zit ik wel te denken van: wat als ze nou voor Nederland hadden gekozen? Amrabat had hele 5-3-2 discussie overbodig gemaakt met zijn defensieve kracht. Zou voor Frenkie heerlijk zijn geweest. En Gakpo lekker op zijn sterkste positie.

------------Noppert

Dumfries-Van Dijk-Aké-Malacia

-------------Amrabat
-----Xavi---------------Frenkie

Ziyech-----Memphis---Gakpo

:love::love::love:

Zou me niks verbazen als ze zaterdag ook tegen portugal een verlenging of penals uitslepen, dat verdedigen met 9 man gaat ze verdomd goed af gewoon. De kans dat NL & kroaten vrijdag nacht enkeltje europa vliegen acht ik ook groot helaas

Helaas niet meer haalbaar voor PSV. Met alle respect voor onze tank Sangaré is Amrabat een paar maatjes groter. Volgens zijn broer Nordin was hij in januari persoonlijk al rond met Tottenham. Tottenham kwam er niet uit met Fiorentina en zijn toen overgeschakeld op Bentancur van Juve. Het zou mij verbazen als na dit wk de wereldtop zich niet voor hem meldt. Als Chelsea al Sangaré en Alvarez wilde halen...

Liefde hoeft niet altijd opgevolgd te worden door seks. Zoals dat je kunt houden van je broer, vader of zoontje. Niemand zal anders beweren ;)
Dit is gewoon pure inzet en dat kunnen Marokkaanse spelers vooral bij het nationale team. Straks weer op clubniveau zie je dit niet meer terug.

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan